Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Proverbs 28.9
God detests the prayersof a person who ignores the law.
Ignoring the Rules

Children do not seem to understand the implications of disobedience. There have been several times when one of my grandkids was disobedient and they still kept asking for treats or special privileges. It goes without saying, I think, when you are in timeout or realizing a particular restriction you are not going to be given some other special treat. Asking for candy when you are disobedient is not acceptable. When the child obeys the rules then their pleas for a treat are much more palatable.

The principle seems so simple when I am the adult in charge of the children. Follow the rules and I will listen to your requests: ignore the rules and I will most likely ignore your request.

As I think about the simplicity of this concept I marvel at my own ineptness at following the same principle with God. Follow God’s rules and my prayers are heard. Certainly, this is not to say that unanswered prayers are always a result of sin in my life. However, my first response to unanswered prayer should not be to accuse God of not caring, but to search my own life for any disobedience. Thankfully, these searches are accomplished quickly through the voice of the Holy Spirit who is eager to point out any areas where I have ignored God’s law. Confession and repentance restores a healthy relationship.

Holy God of grace and mercy, I confess that I tend to ignore certain parts of your law more than others. I ask for your mercy and grace where I have fallen and strength to avoid falling again. Help me to walk wholly with you today. – Dan Jones

No comments: