Monday, April 13, 2009



Proverbs 26:18-19
Just as damaging as a madman shooting a deadly weapon
is someone who lies to a friend
and then says, “I was only joking.”


Talking too fast

Justifying our bad attitudes and actions with “jokes” is more harmful than we realize. “I was only joking,” implies the other person should just “get over it” or not have been offended in the first place. Trying to excuse sassiness, lies, and deceitfulness with jokes is not only poor taste, it is wrong. In doing so, we illustrate a lack of respect for others and a refusal to be accountable for our own words.

We live in such a frantic and hurried society words fly off our lips with little to no filtering. Technology has only increased the ease with which we can communicate to others. You can instantly text, talk, and even send video messages to thousands of people “in the moment.” This last week we learned NBA players are increasingly updating their profiles electronically during games.

With immediate communication, we are less likely to think things through or consider the implications of our words before spewing them into the world. To cover up our blunders we increasingly refer to our words as “jokes”.

There is no quick remedy, except being willing to stop and think before speaking. In the same way, I am forced to think about how I respond to God. How do I talk to Him? Do I think about my prayers or just spew out my frustrations without taking time to think about His promises. Certainly God invites us to pray at all times and in a myriad of ways, yet how often do I try to cover up disrespect and ungratefulness with “jokes” and rationalizations about “stuffy prayer language” and formalities. Perhaps even in prayer a little more thought would produce a better conversation with God.

Father of grace and compassion, I am sorry for not taking time to think as I pray. I confess too many times I simply demand what I want instead of seeking out your thoughts on the situation. Help me to pray your will not mine, with sincerity, reverence and respect for who you are. Make my prayer times refreshing both emotionally and intellectually as you teach me your ways. – Dan Jones

No comments: